[pypy-dev] Who's developing language interpreters in PyPy

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Sun Apr 22 15:16:52 CEST 2007

Hi Maurice!

2007/4/22, Maurice Ling <mauriceling at gmail.com>:
> I've been reading up on pypy and is really interested in the idea of
> implementing X language interpreters in pypy, where X can be any known
> programming language.
>
> Do we have a knowledge of who is developing or interested in which
> X-to-pypy interpreter so there's no competition nor duplication of work?

Short overview: The following interpreters are in the PyPy repository
currently (or will be, in the case of Scheme):

 - Python (various people)
 - Prolog (me)
 - JavaScript (Leonardo Santagada)
 - Scheme (Jakub Gustak, not yet started)

In addition, Christopher Armstrong is working on "SafeLisp":

https://code.launchpad.net/~subol-hackers/subol/safelisp-rpython

> Personally I have some interests in a few languages that I know, such as
> R and pascal.

I don't really know either of them very well, but I imagine that the
problem with R would be that you would have to implement all sorts of
numerical functions (which is a lot of effort) or interface to
existing C libraries (which is not much fun, since the rctypes are a
mess, currently).

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich