[pypy-dev] Random updates

Elmo Mäntynen elmo13 at jippii.fi
Thu Jun 22 12:38:26 CEST 2006

Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Elmo,

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 02:20:54AM +0300, Elmo M?ntynen wrote:
>
>> 2.3 seems to work nicely, 2.4 segfaults (?! I thought it worked again),
>> which I'll try to reproduce with different machine (I'll report soon):

[cbuild:execute] cc -O2 -pthread -I/usr/include/python2.4 -c
ctypesplatcheck_0.c -o ctypesplatcheck_0.o
[cbuild:execute] cc -pthread /tmp/usession-20/ctypesplatcheck_0.o -lm
-lpthread -o /tmp/usession-20/ctypesplatcheck_0
[cbuild:execute] cc -O2 -pthread -c ctypesplatcheck_1.c -o
ctypesplatcheck_1.o
[cbuild:execute] cc -pthread /tmp/usession-20/ctypesplatcheck_1.o -lm
-lpthread -o /tmp/usession-20/ctypesplatcheck_1
[translation:info] Annotating&simplifying...
[translation:info] with policy:
pypy.objspace.cpy.ann_policy.CPyAnnotatorPolicy
Segmentation fault

> We'd need some much more precise info about this to be able to do
> anything.  Which version of CPython is that precisely, which PyPy
> revision, which OS?  Can you also please paste the whole output before
> the segfault?

CPython:
Python 2.4.4c0 (#2, Jun 14 2006, 22:35:41)
[GCC 4.1.2 20060613 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-4)] on linux2

OS: Debian Etch, linux 2.6.15

Pypy: latest revision

to be continued...
> If you manage to get a error and a pdb prompt with another Python
> version, can you also please paste the whole output here, together with
> the exact CPython version number?

When I tried debugging this, I had hunted down the particular place
where the segfault happens, and there was nothing, meaning that there
wasn't anything particular that seemed like something that CPython
wasn't made to handle, just some normal looking code. The gist of all
this is that it seemed to me that the segfault is a plain bug in
CPython, just a more obscure one that shows up with the wuite massive
pypy machinery.