[pypy-dev] Re: Mixed modules for both PyPy and CPython

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sat Apr 15 09:29:55 CEST 2006

Hi VanL,

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 13:45 -0600, VanL wrote:
> Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
>
> > Careful. "Restricted Python" (or RPython) means something very
> > specific in PyPy lingo. Restricted Python means that you stick to some
> > restrictions in your coding style to make type inference possible. See
> >

> http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/coding-guide.html#restricted-python
> >

> Sorry - I knew that.  I just didn't make the connection from one side of
> my brain to another.  Maybe "secure python" (spy)?

just as a side note: "secure" is a very vague term, technically (and
politically).  The professor i learned with, warned against talking
about security without specifying against which kind of attacks and about
which scenarios one is talking about it.

Did you see my security related posting a few days ago, btw?

> What made me think this would work are a couple of comments made here
> and on the py3k list.
> First, Armin (about a year ago, I think)made some comments about the
> objectspace abstraction allowing a "Remote Object Space" and allowing
> different object spaces to participate in the evaluation of code.

Right, that is still an open topic, a bit touched by the
parallel discussion on this list of integrating PyPy (and
RPython) with CPython.

> Second, comments on py3k list indicated that secure python is difficult
> because of a) introspection, b) type inference, and c) GIL acquisition.

Hum, this list looks a bit weird to me.  Could you state what
the actual attacks are for which security measures are discussed?
Or which use cases are people on py3k having in mind?

cheers & thanks,

    holger