[pypy-dev] Re: [pypy-svn] r12768 - pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Tue May 24 14:31:04 CEST 2005

Hi Ludovic,

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 14:21 +0200, ludal at codespeak.net wrote:
> Author: ludal
> Date: Tue May 24 14:21:39 2005
> New Revision: 12768
>
> Added:
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/__init__.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/ast.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/ast.txt
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/astfactory.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/astgen.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/consts.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/future.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/misc.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/pyassem.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/pycodegen.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/symbols.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/syntax.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/transformer.py
>    pypy/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler/visitor.py
> Log:
>  * included modified version of the original compiler module

if you plan on reusing the python compiler module, can you
do it slightly differently?  For modules/packages, that we are
taking and modifying from CPython, we usually copy them from

    svn/pypy/dist/lib-python/2.3.4

    svn/pypy/dist/lib-python/modified-2.3.4

This allows to keep exact track of what got modified and also
the base version we started working from.

Note though that these modules are then imported at
application-level only and if you want to explore if the
compiler package can be modified to be translateable (good idea :-)
and thus be written at RPython-level then the above place is not quite
right.  However, i'd still recommend to then do something
like e.g.:

    svn cp http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist/lib-python/2.3.4 \
           http://codespeak.net/svn/branch/pycompiler/module/recparser/compiler

so that when you perform 'svn log ...' you will see where that version
came from.

make sense to you?

I also notice that you branched in a slightly unusual way, because
so far we did the branching like this:

    svn cp http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/branch/whatever

this makes sure that you can checkout 'whatever' and have a full pypy-dist hierarchy
underneath. With your approach you probably need to use an explicit checkout-target,
e.g. 'svn co X pypy' (where the latter 'pypy' is the checkout target).

cheers,

    holger