[pypy-dev] Re: genrpy is ready so far.

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Jan 11 12:31:06 CET 2005

Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> writes:

> Hi Armin, all,
>
> I've put quite some work into genrpy.py in the last
> few weeks. It seems to produce usefulcode, although
> it could of course be nicer with some more effort.
>
> The speed effect appears to be somewhere around 40%
> over interpreted appspace code, not really disappointing,
> but also not really overwhelming.
>
> The real effect of such translation lies probably in
> opening things to further optimization in a later
> code generation step.
>
> The code works fine with
> _formatting.py, md5.py and strutil.py. These all
> appear to obey RPython restrictions, as probably
> many others.

Hmm!  Could we use this to make an interpreter-level implementation of
the argument parsing code from a nice clear application level
implementation?  Or does this still result in hideous circularities?
Probably.  Oh well.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Lisp does badly because we refuse to lie.  When people ask us if
  we can solve insoluble problems we say that we can't, and because