[pypy-dev] EU funding is official!

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Dec 2 13:53:42 CET 2004

Hi pypythonistas,

lucky day!

The EU signed the contract and the PyPy/EU projects starts,
umm, started on 1st of December 2004!

This means we have now two years of funding for PyPy
to deliver research and implementation results.
The funding will go to a number of people (through their
respective organizations) who already are involved in the
project for a long time.  But this doesn't mean that there is
not room for new fellow hackers especially with research
interests!

After our prototypical work we already completed
we can be pretty confident that we can reach the
ambitious goals that we promised to the EU.  Nevertheless,
it will be quite an adventure .. as if it hadn't been one
already :-)

My special thanks go to Laura who pushed us initially towards
going for the funding and also supports the project in
magnificient ways!  But i think i wasn't wrong either
in July 2003, when i was skeptical with respect to all the
formal work and communication implications :-)

I think that the support from the many pythonistas which e.g.
materialized in our EU proposal and in the sprints certainly
contributed a lot to winning the contract!  Many thanks to
Guido and Tim, especially!  You are welcome any time to
join the sprint marathons towards a new Python implementation :-)

thanks & cheers,

    holger