[pypy-dev] Re: fixeol

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Mon Sep 22 18:27:40 CEST 2003

In a message of Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:15:10 +0200, holger krekel writes:
>[Armin Rigo Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 02:08:45PM +0100]
>> Hello Christian,

>> I hopefully fixed the script now. You might try it (carefully!) on some
> new
>> text files.
>>
>> I'm still a bit worried that if fixeol actually changes content, as wou
>ld be
>> the case if it is run by someone on another platform than the one used
>> create it, then svn will record it as completely changed (ideal source
>for
>> conflicts). The only solution I could imagine would be to make sure tha
>> people specify files to be text when they first add it to the repositor
>y.
>> Somehow the default "files-are-binary" of SVN creates different, new ki
>nd of
>> problems than the default "files-are-text" of CVS. Maybe a no-default
>> you-must-specify-it-explicitely wouldn't have been such a bad idea.
>
>we could enforce this on a pre-commit hook and maybe other things
>like e.g. that REST-files compile without errors.  The latter would make
>a checkin of documents slower but i think it's worth it IMO.
>
>cheers,
>
>    holger

I want to be able to stick broken ReST into the depository at any
time.  When your sysadmin is about to take your machine at work down
for the weekend, is the time you need to stuff your half done work
into the repository so you can go home and keep working, not discover
that your work is marooned on a disk that is running a weekend long
memory error diagnostic.  Now BITCHING at me that it is broken, at
commit time, preferably with a reminder of how to run the tool that
tells you whats not working, that is a fine idea, I think.

Laura