[pypy-dev] stdobjspace summary?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Mar 2 08:38:32 CET 2003

Hello Christian,

In short, write whatever implementation you like most.  Using lists are
very-dump malloc-style blocks of memory is fine.  As you said we can always
add intermediate layers later if neccesary.

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 05:59:38AM +0100, Christian Tismer wrote:
> Which are the allowed basic operations assumed to be available?

Only the ones for which you can easily think about a C translation.  For
example, the list += operator could represent the realloc() primitive.

> would they be split? Is there one interface file in std, which
> configures itself by some global options and some local include,
> or would there be a std_c and a java folder?

I don´t know exactly, but I think we should put all this into the same std/
folder because the Java-style implementation can also be used to emit C given
the proper translator, so that the boundaries are fuzzy.  Maybe you can create
subdirectories like std/malloc/ that contain the low-level concepts.  In all
cases write the dependencies explicitely (we´ll see at that point which syntax
could be used for that).

> of not doing a long implementation at all, but to link against
> an external library. This is personal taste which we should
> provide space for. Where do you think this space should live?

This could be done in std/xxxlong.py if you are using the library xxx, for
which we should also find a syntax.

Not sure about strings and builtins yet.  The meat of the implementation
of strings shouldn't change too much anyway, so I suggest you just try them
with any low-level representation you like (strings are fine, if you manage
never to need to mutate them).

A bientot,

Armin.