[pypy-dev] Objects and types in the stdobjspace

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Jun 10 15:43:53 CEST 2003

Hello Holger,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:26:36PM +0200, holger krekel wrote:
> I was thinking more along these lines ...
>
>     def list_extend__any_any(space, w_list, w_otherlist):
>         return space.inplace_add(w_list, w_otherlist)

Yes, I know, this is the kind of naming magic which I really dislike I must
say. It's fine for 'any' which is a bit special anyway, but it starts to be
messy when substrings of the name must be converted into classes that might be
in other modules, or multimethod objects you'd like to register to, etc...

I'd very reluctantly admit that you could require that the relevant classes
and multimethods are to be present in the current module's globals (thus
forcing the use of 'from xxx import classes'), and will be searched only here.
Still I don't like that. My moto is that forced naming conventions are bad,
and direct references to the objects you're interested in are good.

A bientôt,

Armin.