[pypy-dev] funding and so

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Wed Jul 30 13:14:25 CEST 2003

hello pypy-devers,

i long wanted to clarify my position on pypy-funding issues.
During the Louvain-La-Neuve sprint i probably was the most
skeptical/critical person regarding getting EU-funding for the
pypy-project and its developers.  That wasn't because i dislike
the idea of getting EU-funding in itself. Quite the opposite.

But I thought that the group of developers who attended our three
sprints weren't organized and prepared enough to actually make the
funding in good shape.  I know from friends and EU-experienced people
that setting up an EU project usually takes half a year (at best).
The other problem i saw was that quickly moving into a development
model where some people get payed and others don't is a risk in itself.
The deadline seems to be the 15th of October, btw.

Some people understood that i am just plainly against getting funding
which is not true.  In fact i want to help to make funding possible but
i am not going to lead much efforts there.  Laura and Jacob has been
active in preparing the start of a proposal but i don't know if they
find enough time to move it forward.  I sure hope so.  Also Anders
has been investing time and contacting people which is great.  Still we
should make ours minds up if and how we want to go for the
October 15th deadline.

My priorities with PyPy definitely lie in development and
dev-infrastructure issues.  Also because i am already co-managing
a bigger housing/artists project in my spare time (some of you know it)
and also have to manage myself money-earning wise.

cheers,

    holger