[pypy-dev] Builtin types

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Jan 28 15:24:42 CET 2003

Hello Bengt,

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:15:20AM -0800, Bengt Richter wrote:

>     meta_eval(i386_call_thunk_representation_as_bitstruct)

The abstract idea is great, but why is it so low-level?  Generalizing the
various forms of procedure invocations is something that I would certainly
like to do (although it is maybe too soon right now).  But why does the
representation have to be bits?  Even Python's code objects are more than a
string of bytes.

What would be useful in my opinion is the definition of a Python interface
that can be implemented by various notions of "code objects", including
CPython's code objects, CPython's built-in function objects, and anything else
from Psyco- or GCC-produced machine code to Prolog rules compiled by PyLog.

A bientôt,

Armin.