[pypy-dev] Builtin types

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Jan 28 15:05:52 CET 2003

Hello Holger,

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:22:55AM +0100, holger krekel wrote:
> (...)  IMO the complexity
> of (and dependency on) C source generators could be reduced this way.

Ok.  But we must keep all doors open by expressing things abstractedly, like
defining classes for C function description.  By default, in the "no-op
down-translation" obtained by running the Python-in-Python code over CPython,
the actual calls are implemented with ctypes.

Everything that forces a particular down-translation is bad, even if that
particular down-translation seems good.  I can think of other cases where we
will need a description of C function signatures but not the code that
actually call them, e.g. Psyco (for which it will be useful to have some other
information as well, like "does the C function have side-effects").

A bientôt,

Armin.