[pypy-dev] bootstrapping issues

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Jan 14 21:58:38 CET 2003

Lalo Martins <lalo at laranja.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 09:40:11PM +0100, holger krekel wrote:
> > For avoiding the need of C-coded system modules
> > there is interest to code a generalization of
> > the "struct" module which allows *calling* functions at
> > the C-level.  This general C-"Extension" will be
> > system-dependent.
>
> Someone already mentioned Squeak, which I think is something everyone
> involved in this project should take a look at. (http://www.squeak.org/ )
>
> I would also mention Gnu Smalltalk (http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/);
> it has the best C-calling-from-interpreter interface I've ever seen.

I took some minutes to look over the manual, expecially
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/gst-manual/gst_21.html

To be honest, in spirit it looks very similar to what I implemented in
the Python ctypes module.

Except, that you cannot store functions pointers into CObject
instances in GNU smalltalk (at least it seems so from this web-page),
but in ctypes.

Thomas