[pypy-dev] Re: Base Object library (was: stdobjspace status)

Stephan Diehl stephan.diehl at gmx.net
Thu Feb 27 15:42:03 CET 2003

Hi Armin,

> Hello Christian, hello Stephan,
>
> Please, don't take my previous e-mail personally, I know that you have been
> working quite hard on the {int,float}objects.

Don't worry. This whole discussion show at least that nothing is set already
and freah ideas are still welcome :-)

> It was planned from the
> ground up that we would discover new issues and new ways of seeing them as
> the project kicks off.  Also, it doesn't mean at all that anything you did
> will be trashed; it just means that (I feel) it is time to pause a bit and
> think about how, with the insight given by your code, we can build a
> coherent thing.

At the moment, nothing needs to be trashed at all, since the
"hard-to-implement" types are not implemented yet.

> At worst this will mean changing the interface to
> something more declarative than the StdObjSpace.xxx.register() calls -- if
> at all.

That shouldn't be a problem as well (could be done by a good editor :-)

Nevertheless, I still don't see that my way woundn't be a valid one.
As far as I've understood the issues so far, the implementation details of
the W_XXXObjects are just that: details.
The interpreter just sees them as black boxes with behaviour. The only place
where we need to be carefull is the instanciation (and that was not discussed
yet).
The point of compiling RPython into C is a complete independent discussion.

Cheers

Stephan