[pypy-dev] Release something?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Feb 27 15:35:23 CET 2003

Hello everybody,

One more e-mail to remind you that one of the goal of the sprint was to
release something at the end of the week.

Did you realize that the interpreter (with the trivial object space) already
works nicely enough to run the following:

# python interactive.py
Python 2.2.2 (#2, Nov 14 2002, 17:24:26)
[GCC 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.2 2.96-0.68mdk)] in pypy
PyPyConsole / TrivialObjSpace
>>> import dis
>>> dis.dis(dis.dis)

I particularly enjoy the slooooooowness of the resulting disassembly dump :-)

Do you think, just for the fun, that this would be worth a "release"?  It
would show the "outside world" that we actually got something "serious"
done.  Of course "serious" needs quote, given the speed of the result, but at
this point everybody should know that it was planned, and that we are dreaming
about top speeds involving some rather obscure translations (probably invoking
strange beasts from the theory of Computer Science).

A bientôt,

Armin.