[pypy-dev] Compiler Benchmarks

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Tue Feb 4 01:50:52 CET 2003

[logistix Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 02:58:32PM -0800]
> holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> wrote:
> > [Oren Tirosh Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:26:57PM -0500]
> > > To get a (very rough) estimate of the performance we can expect from
> > > a PyPython compiler it would be interesting to know how fast this code
> > > runs with psyco.
> >
> > I agree that this would be interesting even though the PyPy-compiler
> > might run on a quite different PSYCO.  I can imagine modifying the
> > compiler to implement the same restrictions that we might set on the
> > PyPy-Interpreter. I can't wait to begin hacking on this.
> >
> > logistix, is your parser/compiler code available anywhere?
> >
> >     holger
> >

> I just wrote the parser, the compiler code is already in the base
> distribution.

of course.

> There were a few bugs that turned up in Python2.2, so that's why I
> didn't run psyco benchmarks.  Just using the standard compiler module
> in 2.2 with psyco didn't yield much of an improvement (108 seconds vs
> 115).

Where is Armin if you need him :-)

 Here's the code if you're interested.  As I mentioned, you'll need at
> least 2.3a1.  The instructions to tie it into the compiler modules are
> in the docstring:
>
> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt/python/pparser.py

Sure looks interesting.  You do a lot of function calls, right?

> -logistix
>
> P.S. If anyone wants to patch this in and run Tools/Compiler/Regrtest.py
> against it, results would be appreciated.

i ran the Lib/test/test_parser against your module but it choked mostly
(on missing totuple methods among other stuff).

Regrtest is currently running with no problems. (it takes some time,
though :-)

If this is really a quite complete parser then pparser.pyc
is a lot smaller than the equivalent parsermodule.o.
not that this means too much :-)

does your pparser work similar to parsermodule.c ?

    holger