[pypy-dev] Compiler Benchmarks

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Mon Feb 3 22:08:27 CET 2003

[Oren Tirosh Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:26:57PM -0500]
> On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 07:34:44PM -0800, logistix wrote:
> > I compiled the contents of the Lib directory (but not subdirectories)
> > with the builtin compile, the compiler module's compile, and a hacked
> > compiler module that used my parser on a 866Mhz machine running WinXP.
> >
> > The builtin compile took an average of 2.9 seconds.
> >
> > The compiler module took an average of 105.3 seconds, or 36.3 times as
> > long.  The compiler module uses CPython's parser, but other than that
> > it's in pure Python.
> >
> > The hacked compiler module took an average of 177.2 seconds or 61.1
> > times as long.  It has a pure Python module, but relies on tokeize
> > which leaves re as the only C dependancy left.
>
> To get a (very rough) estimate of the performance we can expect from
> a PyPython compiler it would be interesting to know how fast this code
> runs with psyco.

I agree that this would be interesting even though the PyPy-compiler might
run on a quite different PSYCO.  I can imagine modifying the compiler
to implement the same restrictions that we might set on the PyPy-Interpreter.
I can't wait to begin hacking on this.

logistix, is your parser/compiler code available anywhere?

    holger