[pyOpenSSL-Users] Error when installing (Windows 7)

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jun 25 18:47:27 CEST 2014

On 03:30 pm, seanstozki at me.com wrote:
>As a follow up to my post on github.
>I have using Cygwin64 currently.  I have tried to install this on a
>windows 7 machine as well and have been getting different errors:

Cygwin64?  Does that mean you built your own Python?  Or downloaded an
alternate Python version built with/for Cygwin64?

pyOpenSSL is not tested against any kind of cygwin configuration.  As
far as I know, cryptography, pyOpenSSL's principle dependency, also is
not tested in such a configuration.  This may mean you have some issues
to find and fix yourself.
>Cygwin64
>
>This was the first error
>
>$ python alarmserver.py
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>File "alarmserver.py", line 18, in
>from twisted.internet import ssl, reactor
>File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/internet/ssl.py", line
>25, in
>from OpenSSL import SSL
>File "/home/Sean/.local/lib/python2.7/site-
>packages/pyOpenSSL-0.14-py2.7.egg/OpenSSL/init.py", line 8, in
>from OpenSSL import rand, crypto, SSL
>File "/home/Sean/.local/lib/python2.7/site-
>packages/pyOpenSSL-0.14-py2.7.egg/OpenSSL/rand.py", line 11, in
>from OpenSSL._util import (
>File "/home/Sean/.local/lib/python2.7/site-
>packages/pyOpenSSL-0.14-py2.7.egg/OpenSSL/_util.py", line 3, in
>from cryptography.hazmat.bindings.openssl.binding import Binding
>ImportError: No module named
>cryptography.hazmat.bindings.openssl.binding
>
>I tried to install cryptography manually and not i am getting this
>error:
>
>Processing cffi-0.8.2.tar.gz Writing /tmp/easy_install-
>ocKWq_/cryptography-0.4/temp/easy_install-POm42x/cffi-0.8.2/setup.cfg
>Running cffi-0.8.2/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-
>ocKWq_/cryptography-0.4/temp/easy_install-POm42x/cffi-0.8.2/egg-dist-
>tmp- XAtpPb cc -c c/check__thread.c -o c/check__thread.o unable to
>execute cc: No such file or directory the above error message can be
>safely ignored; will not use '__thread' in the C code unable to execute
>gcc: No such file or directory error: Setup script exited with error:
>command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

This line:
>unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory

seems to suggest that you are missing a compiler or your environment is
configured in such a way that distutils cannot find your compiler.

For pyOpenSSL on Windows, I recommend using the official python.org
Python build/distribution and installing the pre-built packages of
pyOpenSSL and cryptography (available at
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyopenssl and
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cryptography - or try `pip install
pyOpenSSL`).

Jean-Paul