[pyOpenSSL] Windows Installers

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Tue Aug 4 22:02:34 CEST 2009

On Tuesday,2009-08-04, at 13:32 , M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> You're missing the point: The PSF can get into trouble for making
> crypto code available via their website without complying to
> existing laws and regulations.

I'm sorry if I am being obtuse, but I really don't understand what
this has to do with Jean-Paul's decisions.  You originally raised
this issue when you wrote in an earlier mail:

> Note that uploading pyOpenSSL eggs to PyPI could result in legal
> problems for the PSF due to export restrictions. I'm not sure
> that's such a good idea. In any case, you'd have to let the PSF
> know in advance.

Do you have any specific reason to believe that this could result in
legal problems for the PSF?  Your earlier note suggested that maybe
PSF would be in the clear if the relevant laws about "software in the
public domain" applied to open source software like pyOpenSSL, and if
the Netherlands (which has jurisdiction over the PyPI servers) didn't
have some other laws that we're unaware of which would make it
illegal.  So as far as anyone has stated in this discussion, there is
no reason to believe that it is a legal problem for the PSF.

And why would JP have to let the PSF know in advance?  Do you mean
that he "ought" to let the PSF know in advance in order to be polite
to them?

I didn't let the PSF know in advance when I uploaded pycryptopp to
PyPI, and I don't think that I had to nor that I ought to.

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn