[pyOpenSSL] pyOpenSSL and select compatibility under Windows

Hugh Gibson hgibson at abling.com
Thu Jun 26 11:44:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

We have a server written in Python using a select() loop on the main
thread to drive socket IO, with our own HTTP 1.1 implementation. It uses
worker threads to process requests. At present login to our AJAX
application is handled by our own challenge/response system but we want
to move to SSL.

I'm trying to determine if pyOpenSSL sockets are compatible with
select() under Windows so that we can slot them into place.

It seems from http://docs.python.org/lib/module-select.html that there
might be problems:
    "On Windows, the underlying select() function is provided by the
     WinSock library, and does not handle file descriptors that don't
     originate from WinSock."

Has anyone used this combination successfully?

I've tried stunnel and that works fine enabling SSL connections to our
server, but I need a way to determine if a connection came via stunnel
or directly otherwise a client could connect directly to the server.

Hugh