[pyOpenSSL] help: invalid universalstring length

SPE - Stani's Python Editor spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 03:14:56 CEST 2005

Hi,
I need to use OpenSSL for Webcleaner, a python proxy filter. However
there seems to be this error. The author of Webcleaner cannot
reproduce this bug. So for me it is really a mistery. Does anybody
understands what goes wrong and what could be a solution or to point me
in a direction. I use the latest version of openssl
(Win32OpenSSL-v0.9.8.exe) on windows xp professional and home edition,
both dutch. Could the dutch be a problem? I also use
pyOpenSSL-0.6.win32-py2.4.exe for the bindings, provided on the homepage
of Webcleaner.

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "C:\Python24\Scripts\webcleaner-certificates", line 113, in ?

    main(sys.argv[1:])

  File "C:\Python24\Scripts\webcleaner-certificates", line 105, in main

    install_ssl_certs(configdir)

  File "C:\Python24\Scripts\webcleaner-certificates", line 61, in
install_ssl_certs

    wc.proxy.ssl.create_certificates(configdir)

  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\wc\proxy\ssl.py", line 109, in
create_certificates

    careq = createCertRequest(cakey, CN='Certificate Authority')

  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\wc\proxy\ssl.py", line 179, in
createCertRequest

    setattr(subj, key, value)

OpenSSL.crypto.Error: [('asn1 encoding routines', 'ASN1_mbstring_ncopy',
'invalid universalstring length')]

Please help, as I am quite desperate to get this working!

Thanks,
Stani