[PyLadies-BLR] getting started with NVDA.

svaksha svaksha at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 16:00:19 CET 2013

Hi Sunita,

As we saw today, the NVDA trac wiki does not provide a straightforward
bugs list, so I was trying out a few permutations and combinations for
you:
* http://community.nvda-project.org/query?status=!closed&version=2013.3&order=status
* http://community.nvda-project.org/query?status=!closed&version=2013.3&order=status
* http://community.nvda-project.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=incubating&status=new&status=reopened&version=master&order=status
* http://community.nvda-project.org/query?group=status&milestone=2014.1
(<-- Personally. I like their YYYY.M versioning system.)

Not sure why the nvda trac wiki makes it harder to view the bugs, so
the easiest way to check for existing bugs is to use the filter system
as custom queries on trac.

The goals page (http://community.nvda-project.org/wiki/FutureGoals)
lists a requirement for an automated system testing framework:
http://community.nvda-project.org/ticket/708. And, there was also a
nice developer guide tucked away in one of the wiki pages:
http://community.nvda-project.org/documentation/developerGuide.html

Next, I hopped on to their irc channel and mentioned that you wanted
to contribute code and they were the most helpful core-devs (I told
you so :P) and I'm paraphrasing the suggestions below:

* http://community.nvda-project.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&max=3000&order=priority
* They ack that the codebase is large and overwhelming and not many
other than the core developers have a full understanding of the full
codebase, BUT it is not expected either :)  So if you (as a user) can
find a niche within the code that you'd like improved, its a good
start. To quote, "best is to pick an application that the person feels
nvda's support is lacking on, or needs improving somehow, and write an
appmodule or simular to slowly getting to know the environment".
</quote>
* I had asked what the "incubating" filter on trac was used for - that
is for code that has been accepted and is under alpha testing, but is
expected to move to beta shortly. </quote>
* If you find the above overwelming, they have asked you to join the
addon mailing list, and help by reviewing or just reading other
peoples addons to get an understanding. To quote, "Addons are much
easier to comprahend, because it is easy to see where the borders are.
with the core nvda, its hard to get a grasp of what is responsible for
what behaviour, but with the addons because the function depth, and
the total number of functions are much smaller, it is much better
environment to getting to know how things are done, and to experiment
and see actual results" </quote>.
* Their irc channel has a handful of core-devs and is not publicly logged.

I'm hoping the above helps you get started.
HTH, ॥ svaksha ॥