[Pygui] Python 3 Plans

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Feb 10 23:03:34 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:32:30PM -0600, Matt Anderson wrote:

> Actually, Linux, FreeBSD and others support extended attributes also[1]. Not doing lots with linux or freebsd recently, I'm not sure how widely they're used though. I don't think that having xattrs is inherently a problem, in fact they're very convenient and powerful. It's just unfortunate they aren't standardized across the various OSes.  The details are frequently filesystem-dependent.

Yeah.  Extended attributes vary with different operating systems and
filesystems.  Additionally, since the metadata is not part of the normal
stream of data, support would have to be individually added to every
program and network protocol dealing with data.  This simply isn't
practical.  I'm convinced that for most purposes, extended attributes
are the wrong solution.  Anyway, I guess I'm getting off-topic.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/