[Pygui] Native wrappers?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Dec 14 23:40:39 CET 2009

Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen wrote:
> Objective-C is quite dynamic and reflective. There is the problem of *types*,
> though: All Objective-C method selectors contain an encoded type signature.

I was envisaging something ctypes-like in that you would be
responsible for telling it what the expected argument types are.
But very low-level details like selecting different versions of
a function based on architecture could be automated.

There must surely be a middle ground somewhere between full-blown
PyObjC and dealing directly with the raw ObjC runtime.

> ‘_PyGui_NSApplication’ is an example of this, right?

Yes, that's one of them.

Another wrinkle is that in a few places I'm faking multiple
inheritance in subclasses of NS types by using a metaclass
that merges class dictionaries together. Although that
might actually become simpler if the wrappers end up being
normal Python types that support multiple inheritance
directly.

--
Greg