[pydotorg-www] Proposing Edits to Downloading Python Guide

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Nov 4 12:08:21 EDT 2022

On 10/25/22 13:32, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're currently working on updating some getting started documentation for Qiskit and as it's
> written in Python we wanted to link to instructions on how to install Python (you can see the
> PR in progress for this here: https://github.com/Qiskit/qiskit/pull/1613). Previously,
> this section of the documentation linked to the Anaconda website which in my opinion isn't a
> good recommendation for a few reasons. So we were looking to update that documentation to
> point to the official installation instructions for Python. Looking at python.org the getting
> started page (https://www.python.org/about/gettingstarted/) refers to this wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Download
>
> for the details. I think the wiki page could probably use some updates as it looks a bit out
> of date. I'd like to request permission to edit that page so that I can make it a bit more
> up-to-date. Something like the following: (between "----")
>
> ----
>
> # Downloading Python

I'd say linking back to the OS-specific pages from
[https://docs.python.org/3/using/index.html]  would be valuable - there
are many tips for first-timers like dealing with the Python launcher and
other Windows oddities and the Mac setup in those pages that people
don't end up finding as easily as they should.