[pydotorg-www] some requests for a meeting minuting feature on www.python.org

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Fri Jun 12 13:35:16 EDT 2020

On 6/12/20 1:22 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 12.06.2020 18:30, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
>> I spoke with Ernest a few weeks ago about how www.python.org could
>> become a better home for public minutes of meetings. So here is my
>> current thinking - this is long, but I want to share it in public in
>> case it helps others understand the work.
>
> You may have noticed: the python.org website has a completely
> non-working CMS. If you want to achieve collaboration, I'd strongly
> suggest looking for something different (e.g. the NextCloud/OnlyOffice
> idea you're floating) and focus on that.
>
> The documents would then appear under a subdomain, but at least
> there'd be proper control over who gets to edit what and, what's
> really more important, enables other people than the handful with
> python.org editing rights to submit content in a user friendly
> way.
>
> BTW: I may sound a bit negative on all this. That's because I
> had been fighting to make python.org more user (= people providing
> and maintaining content) friendly for several years without
> success. If you have more luck: more power to you :-)
Hi, Marc-Andre! I was probably less clear than I should have been about
my suggested workflow:

1. Before, during, and immediately after meeting: people collaboratively
edit agenda and notes using Etherpad, Google Docs, Nextcloud, or
something like that
2. After meeting, once notes are finalized: someone moves them into the
www.python.org CMS.

That second step doesn't absolutely need to be a multi-person step. The
"Granular privileges: I'd like to let all my team members add minutes
within our chunk of the site hierarchy." item in my list was in the
"heavily encouraged" section, not the requirements. If you would
prioritize requirements for this feature differently I would like to
read your remix of my list (and what project are you minuting meetings
for? if it's a very different type than the one I've been working on
then maybe we have different requirements).

Also, when you say "completely non-working" I'm not sure what you mean.
I can successfully log in and edit pages, and the changes then display
on the site. Perhaps you mean that the granularity of editing rights is
inadequate?

I don't intend to fight anyone, but thank you for the kind wishes!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Changeset Consulting