[pydotorg-www] proposed edit to BeginnersGuide/Overview

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 23:22:33 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Neil <nta345 at gmail.com> wrote:
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Overview
>
> I hope it’s not really an Immutable Page or it’s going to be tough to make
> improvements if some pages are off limits.

"Immutable" really just means "can't be edited by you in your current
state". For instance, if you're logged out, *every* page is immutable
(unlike Wikipedia, we don't allow anonymous edits). There are some
pages that are legitimately protected (administrative ones), but I
don't think this one should be. It has at the top "#acl All:read" -
M-A, does this mean it's immutable to non-admins? (I can edit it.) And
secondly, does it _need_ to be protected like that, now that we have
editor restrictions elsewhere?

Neil, sorry about the hassles here! I hope this hasn't turned you off
contributing. Normally it won't be like this!

ChrisA