[pydotorg-www] Do not recommend Learn Python The Hard Way to new programmers in the wiki

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 16 13:42:13 CEST 2015

On 16.09.2015 13:00, Antti Haapala wrote:
> On 11 September 2015 at 23:43, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> On 11.09.2015 22:14, Antti Haapala wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> The wiki page at
>>> https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers quite
>>> prominently recommends Learn Python The Hard Way as a newbie friendly
>>> material. However, despite being in edition 3 already, I found the
>>> book being of questionable quality, and not really good learning
>>> materials for anyone.
>>
>> If you can give us your wiki account name, we can make you an editor.
>>
>> Regarding the book, you are making some good points. I would always
>> recommend "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz to newbies. I wonder why
>> that book is not listed.
>>
>> The books listed on the wiki don't necessarily have to be all
>> freely available.
>
> Hi again,
>
> my wikiname is AnttiHaapala

I've added you as an editor.

Note that LPTHW comes up as one of the first links when you
google "learn python", so even making it less prominent on the
wiki page probably won't have much effect.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Sep 16 2015)
2015-09-14: Released mxODBC Plone/Zope DA 2.2.3   http://egenix.com/go84
2015-09-18: PyCon UK 2015 ...                               2 days to go
2015-09-26: Python Meeting Duesseldorf Sprint 2015         10 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/