[pydotorg-www] List of alternative Python implementations

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Nov 5 18:33:15 EST 2015

On 06.11.2015 00:08, Alexander Walters wrote:
> They don't implement....anything.  Guido implemented it.

Actually, it's Guido and the Python core dev team who implemented it
and the cast of thousands who help by sending in patches.

> but it is SUPREMELY unhelpful to list them as stand alone third party implementations of python,
> SINCE THEY ACTUALLY REQUIRE ANOTHER PYTHON TO RUN!  You CANNOT run a Nuitka module without libpython
> being installed.  'standalone mode' simply links against an already existent cpython.
>
> So while technically It MIGHT be considered another python (It isnt.  Its a CPython tool), it helps
> no one to tell them its another implementation of the language.

I'm not sure why you are getting all upset. There's nothing
to be dogmatic about.

All of the implementations I listed below under "Alternative CPython"
use Python C code and the Python stdlib in one way or another -
that's why they are listed as *alternative* CPython. Unlike the already
listed repackaged Python versions, these implementations apply
changes to CPython or extend it in various way (by e.g. adding a JIT
compiler, adding additional syntax or compiling part of your
Python program to Python C extensions).

Now, if you want to continue the discussion, please provide constructive
input. Otherwise, we can agree to disagree and stop the thread
right here.