[pydotorg-www] Wiki slowness

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jan 7 21:51:15 CET 2015

This sounds like a serious and lasting infrastructure issue. Dropbox is hit
by similar attacks all the time. The hackers are likely looking to match
large databases of email addresses (think many, many millions) against
large databases of easy passwords; if they find a match they are likely to
test the same email/password combination at a large set of other services.
(I can't explain the account creations but these are likely to the hackers
useful in some other way.)

Sooner or later this will be used to hack or impersonate someone important.

There is no perfect solution, but we should definitely be watching this
more carefully and slow down login attempts and account creations. Do we
have a captcha yet? Can we block IP addresses? Nothing stops all attempts,
but you must at least do all of these.

The times of spambayes are over. The adversaries are persistent and clever
and have huge resources.

(Sadly I can't say much more except over beer. But this is serious.)

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> I've had a look around on the system at what might be causing the
> slowness of the wiki.
>
> The number of used inodes was a bit high, so I ran some
> maintenance tools on the wikis to reduce them.
>
> A restart of Apache didn't help much. The processes went straight
> to 100% again.
>
> I then ran a log trace of the access log and found that the
> wiki us being hit by massive and continuous stream of login attempts
> and new account creations. I guess the spammers have us on the
> radar again...
>
> The IP addresses vary a lot, but the user agent strings are mostly
> the same: "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64;
>  Trident/5.0)".
>
> All three wikis are affected, so this may be a botnet.
>
> --
> Marc-Andre Lemburg
> eGenix.com
>
> Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 07 2015)
>
> ::::: Try our mxODBC.Connect Python Database Interface for free ! ::::::
>
>    eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
>     D-40764 Langenfeld, Germany. CEO Dipl.-Math. Marc-Andre Lemburg
>            Registered at Amtsgericht Duesseldorf: HRB 46611
>                http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)