[pydotorg-www] Vandalism/spam on wiki.python.org: changes to default permissions

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jun 3 15:08:00 CEST 2014

On 03.06.2014 14:06, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> FYI: I've renamed the group page to EditorsGroup. That's a better
>> fit for what we intend to use it for.
>>
>> If people show a good track record they can then be moved on
>> to the TrustedEditorsGroup, which removes the need to enter
>> textchas.
>
> I hope this works out well. It'll reduce the drive-by contributions
> (no matter how good you are at empowering people who ask, the very
> fact that they have to ask is a turn-off), but all that does is back
> down the main boast of a wiki - most web sites have a LOT more hoops
> to jump through before random readers can edit.

Looking at the changelog of the wiki, most people who edit
pages on the wiki are regular editors.

> If this does reduce spam significantly, it might be possible to
> eliminate textchas altogether; just put people straight into
> TrustedEditorsGroup, and depend on the spammers being uninterested in
> actually waiting for promotion (and probably being obvious anyway). As
> we've seen, the determined spammers aren't put off by them for long.

Yep. I think we should have a policy to add people who we know directly
to the TrustedEditorsGroup. Makes life a tad easier for them.

We might even proactively add them to that list by looking through
the recent changes log:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/RecentChanges

Hmm, I'll do that now...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 03 2014)
2014-05-28: Released mxODBC.Connect 2.1.0 ...     http://egenix.com/go56
2014-07-02: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 29 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/