[pydotorg-www] Vandalism/spam on wiki.python.org: changes to default permissions

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jun 3 13:05:13 CEST 2014

On 31.05.2014 22:49, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in recent weeks, the Python Wiki has seen an increasing amount of
> spam and vandalism:
>
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/RecentChanges?max_days=60
>
> Since the textchas we've been using apparently no longer serve their
> intended purposes, I've now pulled the plug and disabled editing
> permissions for new users:
>
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/FrontPage (see "Editing pages")
>
> I've added a new user group called NewUsersGroup, which does
> get editing rights, but we'll have to manage this manually and
> new users who want to receive editing rights will have to write
> to this mailing list to be added to the group.

FYI: I've renamed the group page to EditorsGroup. That's a better
fit for what we intend to use it for.

If people show a good track record they can then be moved on
to the TrustedEditorsGroup, which removes the need to enter
textchas.

> I'm sorry for having to take this step, but the level of spam
> and (more importantly) vandalism we've been getting is too high
> to keep the wiki as open as it used to be.
>
> Please regard the above step as emergency action. I'm more than
> open to discussing alternative approaches to the situation, since
> I don't like this step myself.
>
> PS: I've only applied the new configuration to the Python wiki.
> We may also have to take this step for the Jython wiki.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 03 2014)
2014-05-28: Released mxODBC.Connect 2.1.0 ...     http://egenix.com/go56
2014-07-02: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 29 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/