[pydotorg-www] The PSF wiki

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Thu Feb 20 21:09:53 CET 2014

On 20 February 2014 12:52, Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:
> Now that the PSF is an open-membership organization, is there any objection
> to making the PSF wiki open access as well? Seems a bit silly to say
> "members only" when anyone can be a member.

Yes, I object. If you look at https://wiki.python.org/psf/FrontPage,
the purpose of the wiki is spelled out at the bottom:

"""
The purpose of this wiki is as a private space for collaborative editing:

* for initial internal development of proposals and plans, that may
not yet be ready to be shared with the world at large;
* to arrive at an internal consensus before taking an official position;
* for sensitive and confidential information; and
* to serve as an archive of projects we decided not to pursue and the
reasons why not.
"""

AFAIK, all of these are still useful. And even if not, these were the
rules in place when the existing pages were added, and opening them up
wholesale could expose details that shouldn't be made public. There
are pages that are limited to Board Directors and Officers that should
definitely not be made public. On the other hand, it's easy to enable
public access for individual pages as needed, and this has been done
for several pages.

The PSF may have open membership now, but I expect that the majority
of new members will be Basic Members without voting rights. I suggest
that the purpose of the Private PSF Wiki be re-stated as accessible to
"voting members of the PSF".

In any case, I think this is premature.
http://www.python.org/psf/membership/ still lists the old membership
classes. http://www.python.org/psf/bylaws/ show the old bylaws, not
the new ones (and have the new ones been adopted yet?). I assume that
the form at http://www.python.org/users/membership/ is for Basic
Membership (I don't see any choice there, or any way to pay a
Supporting Membership fee).

If we want to have a normally-open wiki for the PSF, I recommend
making a new one, and selectively moving pages over from the old one.
I think you'll find there's plenty that ought not to be made open.

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>