[pydotorg-www] [Psf-redesign] Fwd: [Pydotorg] Fwd: pydotorg 'easy' github issues

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 19:53:49 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> On 10.08.2014 15:19, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> On 10 Aug 2014 22:55, "Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The web site is an open source project. It isn't the sense of what's
>> needed that's absent, it's a busy crew of volunteers swarming all over the
>> site code (including HTNML and CSS) making it better. It's an active team
>> of developers anxious to make python.org the best open source language web
>> site in the world. Without that, little else is going to help.
>>
>> I consider python.org to be in a similar place to where distutils-sig was
>> around 18 months ago - not in a position to make autonomous decisions, and
>> hence not a place where volunteers are likely to be keen to participate.
>
> python.org is still transitioning away from being a paid
> development effort to a volunteer effort and a lot still needs
> to be done to make the volunteer contributions easier.

Right. I am saying that removing excess defunkt mailing lists
helps volunteers find where actual activity taking place and join.

> The next few months should get us a lot closer to a working
> eco system.
>
> Note that the site will have to support multiple different
> efforts with different needs and so we'll not only have one
> group in charge of the site, but instead one for each sub-
> system. The job board, the calendars, the success stories,
> PEPs, etc. are examples of such sub-systems.

I am not quite sure that hierarchical organization of people
around site departments is a right way to go, but it will be
nice to move this discussions to a different thread. I'd like
to solve the problem that was raised by OP in this thread
at least partially ASAP, not waiting few more months. It is
not fun to wait for some ecosystem if all needed arguments
for this specific problem can be discussed right here right
now and action taken to make it easier at least partially.

--
anatoly t.