[pydotorg-www] [Psf-redesign] Fwd: [Pydotorg] Fwd: pydotorg 'easy' github issues

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 15:19:52 CEST 2014

On 10 Aug 2014 22:55, "Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> The web site is an open source project. It isn't the sense of what's
needed that's absent, it's a busy crew of volunteers swarming all over the
site code (including HTNML and CSS) making it better. It's an active team
of developers anxious to make python.org the best open source language web
site in the world. Without that, little else is going to help.

I consider python.org to be in a similar place to where distutils-sig was
around 18 months ago - not in a position to make autonomous decisions, and
hence not a place where volunteers are likely to be keen to participate.

In the distutils-sig case it was python-dev that needed to more effectively
delegate decision making authority to empower an already interested
community, and at PyCon 2013, the decision was taken to update PEP 1 to
address that core problem. End result: a flourishing Python Packaging
Authority, and a package installer shipping by default with CPython.

For python.org, it is the PSF board that needs to delegate more
effectively, but just as in the distutils-sig case, properly empowering the
python.org team requires changing the power structures governing the
relationships between various groups. As with any delegation of authority,
however, trust and respect are key elements. In the distutils-sig case,
that was built up mostly through the pip, wheel and crate.io projects. For
python.org, we don't yet have anyone demonstrating the same kind of
initiative, independence and interest that was demonstrated by the leads of
those projects.

Regards,
Nick.

 @holdenweb