[pydotorg-www] [Infrastructure] SSL support (was: Removed wiki attack banners)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Sep 7 12:41:31 CEST 2013

Hmm, according to SSLLabs, DHE is not used by browsers
for wiki.python.org:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=wiki.python.org

Note that ECs are not widely supported, so using those is not
such a good idea. Moving away from the ancient RC4 is, though,
esp. if TLS 1.2 is available:

https://community.qualys.com/blogs/securitylabs/2013/03/19/rc4-in-tls-is-broken-now-what

TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA would be better as default
first choice for SSL.

Not sure whether this is worth fixing for the public wikis,
but once we're starting to host things like e-voting on the
OSL infra structure, this may become more important.

Background info: DHE causes the session key to be
negotiated between server and client without actually sending
key data over the wire. As a result, getting at the session
key by looking at a recorded SSL session is really hard, even
if you know the server's private key. Without DHE, it is easily
possible to recreate the session key, provided you know the
server's private key and have a recording for the SSL handshake.
That's where the term "forward secrecy" comes from - future loss
of a private key doesn't result in all recorded SSL sessions to
suddenly become easily decipherable.