[pydotorg-www] Hardcore is not only porn

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Nov 19 16:22:53 CET 2013

On Tuesday 19. November 2013 15.58.15 M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 19.11.2013 15:38, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> >> I've made the filter more selective.

Of course, the need to use "hardcore" frequently in a reference like the
Python Wiki is somewhat debatable. :-)

> > ​I had a related experiencie with "ambien " which I am not sure if it is
> > even a word. Originally it was part of "Python tambien ..." so the word
> > would be "tambien" yet the filter capture it partially.​
>
> Thanks. I've fixed that one as well. Ambien is a drug which some
> spammers tried to promote on the wiki.

Yes, this is the reason for the unfortunate problem with editing. I hope
you'll forgive us for the inconvenience you have experienced, Alexandro.

Such spam patterns used to be very important tools in preventing people from
vandalising existing content and creating huge amounts of spam content on the
wiki, and you only need to look at certain public wiki installations to see
what occurs when no such measures are in place. I would argue that anti-spam
measures need to be a bit more varied these days, though, and I've written
about that on this list in the recent past, I believe.

Paul