[pydotorg-www] Python Decorators

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Mar 4 19:18:28 CET 2013

On Monday 04 March 2013 18:41:50 Justin Rosen wrote:
> Thanks for the reply guys, I'll pass this on to the powers that be, but it
> sounds like this is prob a dead end.
>
> Are we able to track down the original authors?  Is it worth sending a mass
> email out to those who've edited this wiki page to get an OK for a fully
> free license?  I agree, why post code to the world if you don't want anyone
> to use it.

I think we all agree informally about the aspect of sharing, but we obviously
have to assume that someone perhaps only contributed to the Wiki because they
only wanted their edits to live there and never be used in any other context.
This is why Wiki deployments often feature licensing statements when people
edit pages, so that people know what they're agreeing to.

The daunting task of tracking down contributors would probably start with the
info page for the page in question:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonDecorators?action=info

Some of those edits will be effectively "null" because they will have been
reverted. This leaves us with around 30 or so contributors, some of whom may
be difficult to reach because they may not have much to do with Python any
more and may decide to ignore any correspondence.

I personally think that a prominent campaign to relicense the content would
probably take a lot of the effort out of chasing up contributors, but it
wouldn't eliminate the problem, and it obviously doesn't help you in your
current situation, unfortunately.

Paul