[pydotorg-www] Google snippets vs target page

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 00:14:09 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> On 13.02.2013 23:34, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> Not sure if this is the place to raise this or not.
>>
>> Often, when I do a Google search for Python docs, the displayed page
>> title and snippet show version 3.3.0 docs, but clicking the link takes
>> me to /2/ instead. Is there a discrepancy between the version seen by
>> the crawler and the redirect given to a browser? Has something changed
>> recently and this is just a transitional period? Is there some kind of
>> settable preference to say "give me version 3 docs by default" and I
>> just haven't seen it?
>
> Do you have an example ?
>
> I just tried a few queries, but Google always shows 2.x docs
> and also links to the 2.x pages.

I searched for 'python string format' and got this:

string - Python v3.3.0 documentation
In addition, Python's built-in string classes support the sequence
type methods described ... It takes a format string and an arbitrary
set of positional and keyword ...

which then linked to the 2.7.3 docs.

ChrisA