[pydotorg-www] (PEP )?redirector service

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Mon Feb 11 22:56:18 CET 2013

On 12 February 2013 02:18, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now to go to pep from an URL, you have to type exactly:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008

Actually, I find typing "pep 8" into my browser's url bar gets me
there with one intermediate click :-)

[in much the same way I find IETF RFCs using "rfc 2822" in the url bar
for example]

> What is needed to create redirector service on peps.python.org that sends
> all the following URLs to the page above?
>
> http://peps.python.org/8
> http://peps.python.org/pep8
> http://peps.python.org/pep-08
> http://peps.python.org/0008
> http://peps.python.org/peps-0008

It would be a bit of work to set up and maintain for only a small
gain, I think.

   http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008
   http://peps.python.org/peps-0008

is only a few characters difference, and the need to type in all the
extra 0s only a small inconvenience I think.

     Richard