[pydotorg-www] [PSF-Members] Valuing Volunteers (was Re: A new membership model for the PSF (long))

Chris Withers chris at python.org
Fri Apr 5 01:31:36 CEST 2013

On 04/04/2013 19:59, Jesse Noller wrote:

> You're perfectly right - I should have pushed out the announcement to more lists. As it is, I got overloaded and failed to do so due to pycon, public relations issues, board work, changing jobs, work, and a raft of other things.
>
> I'll take full responsibility for not emailing the lists, and thank you for the work you have done.

I'll prefix this with: I don't believe there was any malicious intent in
this, I hope the process was purely an attempt at preventing bike
shedding...

That said, I remember finding the initial process extremely frustrating,
whereby we (current site maintainers) would ask a question or make a
comment on the proposed new design (in fact, I believe this may have
been the tendering process) and get nothing back but a blank "thankyou
for your feedback" from Jesse.

I'll again say that I hope that was with the best of intentions, but it
was pretty infuriating that the time; nothing says "f*&( you" quite like
feeling totally excluded from a process, when you've put a fair amount
of work into maintaining a site. I can only give my perspective here,
but I suspect that is the start of where Aahz is coming from...

...wind on to implementation. Again, I will prefix this with: I trust
Jacob wholeheartedly and believe he will likely go way beyond what he's
being paid to do. But...

I only found out about the progress when I noticed a mail referring to
preview.python.org and mailed Jacob directly to ask about the interface
for the job board, by then it felt like a bit of a done deal...
(for the job board, it turns out its not, for which feel very relieved :-)

What might have left the maintainers feeling more engaged would have
been some combination of 'svn log', 'grep -v chrisw', 'sort -u' to see
who the most common maintainers were and reaching out to them directly.
Likewise, maybe a grep of the archives of the pydotorg-www list (I'm
thinking of all the work Michael Foord does for planet.python.org, dunno
if that's affected by the site rebuild, and Aahz did with the job board
pre-screening).

That said, I don't know how much effort would be perceived in engaging
with the guys who do the current work, and I don't know where to look to
see if that was considered. (Transparency is tough with Foundations and
the like, I know...)

Anyway, this is all water under the bridge, we are where we are and I'll
be sorry to see Aahz go. Aahz, what could happen to change your mind?

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk