[pydotorg-www] Removing /moin/ suffix from wiki.python.org (Was: Internal Server Error while reverting spam)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 00:06:44 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> >
> > Is the current setup documented anywhere at all?
> > If you point to the document, we can remove the burden of providing
> > necessary instructions from you and stop talking about "overhead" in
> > abstract terms by providing real diff of the changes.
>
> What "we"?  AFAICT, you have not done any actual work to improve the
> website, only putting forth a constant series of suggested changes for
> other people to deal with.

"we" are the people who want this /moin/ suffix removal, so there is more
than just "me". I will do it alone, or somebody will help me - it doesn't
matter. There will be somebody motivated enough to do the necessary change.

As for everything else I feel like there is something personal towards me
(it is a little bit offtopic, so it would be nice of you to continue with
different subject if you want to continue). Is it denied to propose
something to pydotorg-www? Are ideas at all welcome here? I don't feel like
I am trustworthy enough to be given keys to all secret servers, and if I
beg you - I doubt you will give them to me. Admit it. And neither site, nor
the server config is open enough for me to propose any patches.

I want Python website development to be open and inclusive for community.
Increasing visibility and making maintenance process open _by default_ was
my goal right from the start. If you remember I was the one who said that
public list should a primary feedback mechanism unless there is a serious
security issue.

Right now I am facing resistance from people who don't want to do the
change, because they personally don't need it even though other members of
community would like to have it. I don't think it is the attitude that
keeps these people maintaining python.org as a volunteers. Other, more
realistic reason is the maintenance burden. And if we concentrate on this
problem, we may realize, that this cause need more serious approach than
you may thought. If people are so overwhelmed with maintenance burden of
even existing infrastructure then how can we talk about centralized
profiles, social features etc.? So practically no evolution is possible if
changes are not welcomed, because all admins are paralyzed even if they
don't mind against the change as a users. In this situation we need to
solve support problem first, and start with configuration management tool
and open repository like
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=operations/puppet.git;a=tree;f=files to
avoid problems like this
http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/msg2134