[pydotorg-www] [Infrastructure] State of the infrastructure project

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Sep 14 17:53:14 CEST 2011

> 1. Prospect of moving PyPI to Postgres 9 for better replication in a
> (closer to) HA scenario. I will post this to the catalog-sig group
> for further discussion after I get done reading the existing Postgres
> config and re-familiarizing myself with the PyPI codebase.

Not sure how software package management and updates will be done.
I personally prefer (and it was policy so far) to use Debian packages,
in order to get Debian upgrades. That would rule out using Postgres 9
at this point.

Also, I'm skeptical that Posgres replication could actually improve
availability. When PyPI becomes unavailable, it is typically not
because of Postgres, and I would expect that the added complexity
of supporting failover would actually reduce availability, and
introduce the risk of data loss.

> 2. What remote sites are pulling backups of the PyPI package data
> from the Rsync server on ximinez?  I think at least tummy.com is from
> discussions with Jannis, but a full list would be great.

I think that, for the rsync backup, it's only tummy.com. Of course,
there are tons of PyPI mirrors, but they are not using rsync, and
not doing backup.

> 3. Does anyone know the reason for the Webalizer config being under
> /usr/local/etc and using a custom cron job instead of the
> debian-standard locations?

Thomas set this up. I believe the motivation is that only this
setup will support multiple vhosts. It actually supports auto-
detection of vhosts, where new log files will trigger the creation
of new webalyzer configs.

> 4. Is Postfix on ximinez doing anything other than outbound
> delivery?

No.

> 5. Is lpd just a legacy artifact or is there actually a printer (or
> something that looks like a printer) attached?

I think it got installed as a side effect of installing something
else that had printing as a Debian dependency.

> If anyone has any questions about the current state of the
> infrastructure project or wants to make sure something specific gets
> on the docket to be looked at, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I'd still urge that IPv6 connectivity is made a pre-requisite for
switching providers.

Regards,
Martin