[pydotorg-www] Wiki theme enhancements (Re: Upgrades completed)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 01:29:24 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 March 2011 22:37:19 anatoly techtonik wrote:
>>
>> I've switched to new EuroPython theme and must say that it looks
>> rather strange (see screenshots). The Frontpage is highlighted even
>> though I am not on the front page. The history bar is confusing and is
>> not visually separated from current page name. ISTM they should have
>> at least different font sizes.
>
> The front page will be highlighted because the settings are merely
> an "overlay" in Moin. So this is a Moin thing, not anything to do with the
> theme. As for the page title, it appears in bold in my browser, so maybe you
> have font issues. (How many tabs do you have open, by the way?!)

I suppose my design just want page name to look important - at least
like H1 on my wide screen.

>> I've started collecting Wiki issues at
>> http://code.google.com/p/pydotorg/issues/list?can=1&q=label:Area-Wiki
>> exactly for the purpose of collaboration. We can upload theme fixes
>> into Mercurial repository over there. Google Code has a good feature
>> of editing sources online, so users/designers can actually fix stuff
>> without knowing about Mercurial at all.
>
> Can we not use the Python bug tracker for this kind of thing, or just use
> whatever Bitbucket is providing, if it's specifically theme-related?

Python bug tracker is out of question - see
http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/issue340
Basically that's the main reason for Google Code project to appear.
Consider it personal preference, but I find BitBucket tracker more
ugly and less powerful - like there is no way to start an issue.

> [...]
>
>> Moin project is moving towards 2.x version. Of course, it will be
>> better if these were extensions rather than patches, but I can't see a
>> big  problem in maintaining patches provided that we finally put
>> current MoinMoin configuration and custom extensions/plugins into
>> version control.
>
> Unless I'm pulling from the wrong repository, the Moin 1.8 branch is not
> seeing any action any more, and I guess Moin 1.9 will go the same way over
> time. Maintaining our own clones, if necessary, would not be that hard, I
> think.

I tried maintaining clones. Without some kind of visual tool that
displays changesets from different clones in different colors, it is a
mess. If some revision from your clone is merged as a patch into main
repository, you will still have a different branches. They can only
merge your branch, but you probably have a lot of other stuff in this
branch. There is no such thing as independent patches - there is still
history line, and even subsequent commits in your clone are completely
unrelated, you still don't have an option to merge just related
commits and mark them as merged. That's my understanding how Mercurial
works and I am afraid there is no cherry picking to help with keeping
modifications in sync with upstream. So it is better to keep separate
patches.
--
anatoly t.