[pydotorg-www] Repeated outages of python.org

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Sun Jul 24 20:34:31 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 11:19, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 06:37, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>
>> Georg Brandl <georg at ...> writes:
>> >
>> > Do we have the resources to monitor it a little more carefully
>> > from now on until we found out what the cause is?  Could it be
>> > some kind of attack?
>>
>> It looks like power-cycling privileges should be given to more people
>> (Georg for
>> example :-)), to avoid potentially long outages likes this.
>>

> The problem isn't really 'powercycle privileges', but 'sysadmins looking
> after the machines'  (the former should come with the latter.) I haven't
> been involved with the setup and maintenance of these machines, and I
> shouldn't be the only one who can powercycle them -- everyone with root on
> the machine really should be able to, and everyone on
> roto-rooters at wooz.org (the non-python.org list of admins) has received
> instructions at one point or another (actually,  multiple times now.)

Barry, it seems many people with root access on (at least) dinsdale aren't
on roto-rooters. We should probably fix that, and make sure everyone is
added to ~psf/.ssh/authorized_keys on xs4all.nl so they can access the
remote console/powerswitch as well (unless they have a reason not to want
that access, I guess.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!