[pydotorg-www] copyrights in the wiki?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Feb 27 00:31:02 CET 2011

On Sunday 27 February 2011 00:16:20 skip at pobox.com wrote:
> Do we care about people adding copyrights to wiki pages (or the code
> therein)?
>
>     http://wiki.python.org/moin/State%20Machine%20via%20Decorators

In this case, it makes more sense for the code to be attached. If it then has
copyright and licence information, which is arguably desirable, then this is
not really a problem. What is more of a problem is when such information is
added to a page without being clear what the scope of the "claim" is,
although the revision history can help us to figure that out.

There's never been a copyright/licensing policy on the Python Wiki as long as
I've had anything to do with it, probably leading to some initiatives being
abandoned because of this. For example:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonCdWiki

What one should do to remedy this situation, if that is considered necessary
in order to let the content be delivered by other means, is rather unclear.

Paul