[pydotorg-www] Asking questions on wiki pages - unproductive?

Skip Montanaro skip at montanaro.dyndns.org
Sat Dec 24 15:31:38 CET 2011

Some meme has taken up residence in the wiki which makes some people think
that posing a question on a wiki page is a good idea.  For instance:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/Asking%20for%20Help/%27break%27%20outside%20loop

I think it's a bad idea for a couple reasons.  First, I don't think very
many people who might (want to) answer these questions actually see them.
We have much better places for help: python-help, tutor, python-list.
Second, I suspect most people who ask questions are probably unfamiliar with
how to subscribe to changes to a page so they are notified when an answer is
posted.  I made a simple edit to the above page.  Only Fred Drake and Mats
Wichmann were notified of the change.  Unless the original poster comes back
and checks periodically, he'll never know if the question is answered.

How do we (or should we) get people to stop this practice?

Skip