[pydotorg-www] Removing /moin/ suffix from wiki.python.org (Was: Internal Server Error while reverting spam)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Dec 19 11:01:56 CET 2011

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Radomir Dopieralski <sheep at sheep.art.pl>wrote:

>> page

>> makes
>> changed.
>> so I'm

>> make
>>>
>>> Could you elaborate a bit ? What are those "exceptions" ?
>>
>> It's not a technical term, I meant it literally. Basically you can
>> configure the web server so that the urls of those other wikis lead to the
>> respective applications, while all other urls lead to the default python
>> wiki. I think it doesn't even require rewrite rules, as scriptalias
>> directives are evaluated in order of occurence. We would of course still
>> have a redirect from the old /moin url.
>>

> If there are no objections, I would say - Radomir, go for it. =)
> To summarize what do we want to do and how it will behave after the
> migration:
>
>  * wiki.python.org/PageName - is a new shorter way of accessing Python
> knowledge base
>  * wiki.jython.org/PageName - is a new shorter way to access Jython pages
>  * wiki.python.org/moin/(.*)$ - will be a permanent redirect to
> wiki.python.org/\1 to save external links from breaking
>  * wiki.python.org/jython/(.*)$ - the same to  wiki.jython.org/\1

I don't think this will technically work with MoinMoin, since it
needs the URL prefix to distinguish between the wiki instances
in a farm installation.

We could have a redirect from anything not a wiki instance
prefix to wiki.python.org/moin/\1, but the wiki pages themselves
would still need to use the /moin/ prefix.

BTW: What's so bad about the prefix advertising the use of
MoinMoin for the Python.org wiki ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 19 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/