[pydotorg-www] Jython wiki is still getting spammed

Radomir Dopieralski sheep at sheep.art.pl
Tue Apr 26 17:31:21 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM, A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 02:28:54PM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>> roughly the same, so I'm pretty sure there's a bot at work.  That suggests
>> to me that either there is a human helper to get past the TextChas or they
>> aren't being applied when they should be.  (I get prompted whenever I edit
>> the LocalBadContent page, so they are active in certain circumstances.)
>
> I tried creating a new page when logged in, and editing an existing
> page, and was prompted for textchas on all of them.  When I entered a
> wrong answer, the edit didn't go through.  So there may be a human
> involved at some level, or maybe they've made a list of all the
> questions/answers.
>
> If that's so, I don't know what can be done about this, other than
> making the textchas harder or just restricting editing of the Jython
> wiki to a limited list of people, which might be OK if the Jython
> community agrees -- not many people edit the wiki.
>
> We could add rel=nofollow to the links to deny the spammers pagerank,
> but are they sophisticated enough to notice?  (They certainly aren't
> noticing that we delete pages pretty quickly.)

My guess is that they got some failed edits in their logs, so they
went there manually, checked the question (or even all the questions)
and added an answer to the POSTed data. I have changed the questions
now, that should hopefully help until they change the answers
manually.

--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl