[pydotorg-www] Jython wiki is still getting spammed

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Tue Apr 26 17:00:27 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 02:28:54PM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> roughly the same, so I'm pretty sure there's a bot at work.  That suggests
> to me that either there is a human helper to get past the TextChas or they
> aren't being applied when they should be.  (I get prompted whenever I edit
> the LocalBadContent page, so they are active in certain circumstances.)

I tried creating a new page when logged in, and editing an existing
page, and was prompted for textchas on all of them.  When I entered a
wrong answer, the edit didn't go through.  So there may be a human
involved at some level, or maybe they've made a list of all the
questions/answers.

If that's so, I don't know what can be done about this, other than
making the textchas harder or just restricting editing of the Jython
wiki to a limited list of people, which might be OK if the Jython
community agrees -- not many people edit the wiki.

We could add rel=nofollow to the links to deny the spammers pagerank,
but are they sophisticated enough to notice?  (They certainly aren't
noticing that we delete pages pretty quickly.)

--amk